Refrigerants to Maintain Comfortable Temperatures
Heat pumps provide an efficient, cost-effective way to heat and cool spaces while keeping energy costs low. Common older heat pump refrigerants have included:
- R-22, a hydrochlorofluorocarbon (HCFC) refrigerant for small, medium, and large heat pumps. It was primarily used in installations where the heat pump provided both heating and air conditioning.
- R-12, a chlorofluorocarbon (CFC) refrigerant for some medium- or large-sized heat pump systems.
Find the Best Freon™ Solution for Your Needs
Heat pump original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) face challenges stemming from regulations that limit ozone depletion. Chemours continues to develop enhanced alternatives to the original refrigerants invented decades ago.
The portfolio of hydrofluorocarbon (HFC) refrigerant alternatives developed to address increasingly stringent regulations includes:
- Freon™ 407C for R-22: primarily used to replace R-22 in new and existing heat pumps
- Freon™ 410A for R-22: an alternative to R-22 in new heat pump systems
- Freon™ 134a for R-12: a retrofit refrigerant for heat pumps that used R-12
Contact us for more information.
Long-Term Use Considerations
Regulations on the long-term use of refrigerants vary by region and application, and may change over time. For the latest information, please visit the Regulations page.
If you're looking for a low GWP alternative, consider the portfolio of Opteon™ refrigerants by Chemours.