Enhancing Performance of Residential and Commercial AC Systems with an R-22 Replacement Refrigerant
Among the options offered in the Freon™ refrigerant portfolio, Freon™ 407C (R-407C) is a high-performance blend. This alternative to R-22 in positive displacement air conditioning (AC) equipment can also:
- Replace R-502 in new and retrofitted medium-temperature applications with evaporator temperatures above -6.7 °CC (20 °F)
- Work in existing medium-temperature applications
- Work in new or existing residential and commercial AC and heat pumps
Replacing R-22 with Freon™ 407C in these systems requires switching to polyolester (POE) oil. For a no-oil change R-22 replacement, see Freon™ MO99.
Features and Benefits
Freon™ 407C has been a popular R-22 replacement because of its properties, which include:
- Similar cooling capacity, energy efficiency, and pressures as R-22 in systems
- An ability to be topped off after a leak, multiple times, with minimal impact on system performance
- Safety; Freon™ 407C has an ASHRAE A1 safety classification
Regulations on the long-term use of refrigerants vary by region and application, and may change over time. For the latest information, please visit the Regulations page.
Another ideal retrofit is the Opteon™ refrigerant that offers comparable performance and safety characteristics to R-22, without requiring extensive changes to equipment.