A Nonflammable Retrofit Refrigerant for R-114
Freon™ 236fa (R-236fa) refrigerant is a hydrofluorocarbon (HFC) retrofit option for R-114. It is used in:
- Low-pressure and existing centrifugal chillers
- Industrial process refrigeration systems
- High-ambient cooling applications (e.g., overhead cranes)
Most original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) recommend using polyolester (POE) lubricant when retrofitting to R-236fa, which also extends system life. Retrofitted centrifugal chillers may require system modifications as well as a change in lubrication. Consult your OEM for specific details.
Features and Benefits
Replacing R-114 with Freon™ 236fa in chillers offers a number of benefits, including:
- Zero ozone depletion potential (ODP)
- Extended life of R-114 chillers
- An ASHRAE A1 safety classification
For additional information, contact us.
Regulations on the long-term use of refrigerants vary by region and application, and may change over time. For the latest information, please visit the Regulations page.