An R-22 Refrigerant Replacement for Direct Expansion Refrigeration
Freon™ MO29 (R-422D) refrigerant is a low-toxicity, non-ozone depleting hydrofluorocarbon (HFC) replacement for R-22.
Compatible with traditional and new lubricants, including mineral (MO), alkylbenzene (AB), and polyolester (POE) oils, most systems retrofitting to Freon™ MO29 don't require changing the current lubricant.
This multi-purpose refrigerant works in existing medium- and low-temperature direct expansion (DX) refrigeration applications, including commercial supermarket systems. Freon™ MO29 also appropriate for stationary DX air conditioning applications, including DX water chillers.
Freon™ MO29 refrigerant:
- Extends system life using the same equipment as R-22, so a system with an R-22 leak does not need to be completely replaced or upgraded
- Offers similar capacity and efficiency as R-22
- Provides a lower discharge temperature than R-22, which may prolong compressor life
Features and Benefits
The industry-wide phaseout of R-22 to meet mandates to reduce high ozone-depleting potential (ODP) refrigerants depends on alternative options such as Freon™ MO29.
This nonflammable HFC alternative offers a host of benefits that include:
- Cost-effective retrofits (and easier retrofitting) than R-404A, R-507, and R-407C
- A 30% lower GWP vs. R-404A and R-507
- Up to 8% improved cooling capacity and up to 14% improved efficiency vs. R-22 at low-temperature conditions
- Slightly lower cooling (~5%) capacity and comparable efficiency vs. R-22 at medium-temperature conditions, with 6 °C (10 °F) cooling
- An ASHRAE safety classification of A1
- Easier maintenance–once the retrofit is complete, the system can be simply topped off with MO29
For further information, availability or answers to your questions, please contact us.
Regulations on the long-term use of refrigerants vary by region and application, and may change over time. For the latest information, visit the Regulations page.
If you're looking for a low GWP alternative, consider the portfolio of Opteon™ refrigerants by Chemours.